I am confused, I think

Discuss building, using, and modifying the Rotary Un-Smartphone.
KGB4200

I am confused, I think

Post by KGB4200 »

On the main Sky’s Edge page it says:

“SIM cards tested to date won’t allow the phone to connect to US networks”

Does this mean the phone cannot be used in the US? On one of your videos you were able to call someone. I don’t know if I am ignorant to the wording or what. I just can’t imagine why people would purchase it if it doesn’t work. If you can, please explain this. Thank you for your time.
KGB4200

Re: I am confused, I think

Post by KGB4200 »

Ok. So I had a friend read my post since I haven’t had an answer. She said it’s probably because “your post sounds brash and unkind.” If this is the reason for not replying then please let me apologize. For some reason, instead of being socially mindful of how I word things my brain tells me to say exactly what the issue is the exact way I am seeing it in my head. My mind sees all else as superfluous and a waste of personal energy. I don’t notice that I’ve done this until it is pointed out to me. Again, I am sorry. Please let me reword my original question:

I think the unsmart phone is fantastic. All the issues I have with using a regular phone are addressed with your phone. I have been looking forward to ordering the unsmart phone but i believe I saw on one of the website pages that the phone does not work in the US. Is this correct? Looking forward to your response. Thank you
Dan W

Post by Dan W »

I'll take a stab at answering.

I believe the lack of replies from anyone is due to everyone waiting for Justine to chime in. I assume her time has been taken up with getting the new official business paperwork and such taken care of and/or time working on getting her pick and place machine back in working order.

From what I understand about the phone working on US networks, the issue is Carriers have added the requirement that all phones pass certain independent lab testing before being allowed on their networks. That testing requires the FCC license to be granted/completed.

The initial kits that have gone out are pretty much experimental to see if the assembly process works for people and if anyone can find a network that they can operate on. As far as I can tell, most are working on these as a secondary project when they have the spare time so there haven't been any reports of success.
KGB4200

Post by KGB4200 »

Ok. Thank you very much. Do you know if there is a forum or site that lists what carriers have been tested already. I would like to help if possible. My region may have an obscure carrier but I would need to know what has been tried so I am not wasting resources. Again, thank you for the reply.
Dan W

Post by Dan W »

There are only 11 kits in the wild so far, so every bit of user information is on this forum, and I haven't seen any posted results yet. My unit is currently down needing to rework a battery wire and my day job taking up most of my time at the moment, so I haven't made any headway.
justine

Post by justine »

Sorry for the quiescence! Should be many more kits in peoples hands in the next few weeks.
1-800-ASK-BURT

Post by 1-800-ASK-BURT »

I see nothing wrong with the way your questions or concerns were expressed. It is imperative to know if this issue will be resolved before making a purchase, and I would assume Justine will have an answer for us at some point.
Anjin

Post by Anjin »

The cellular module choice gifts a lot of compliance for the regulations already. AT&T for example will accept the U-Blox LARA-R6 test results to allow skipping over much of the process. However, they still require a certification by PTCRB for a subset of elements, like antenna performance, EMI leakage, etc. This will take time and money of course, along with a bug free product ready for market.

The FCC also wants to be sure everything works fine and is suitable for use as an handset. If the device is intended for use closer than 20cm to a person, it needs tested, even if the module already has an FCC Grant. This takes a few months, if everything is perfect on the forms, and the antenna is perfectly matched, and also requires that bug free product.

Getting development/beta units to the world, helps us help everyone get the code base ready, as well make sure it all works properly so it can pass those tests. Might point out that it will also cost several thousand USD for the certification/grant testing to be completed by an independent lab.

One can sometimes talk a carrier or vender into providing a development sim. This may be easier as the LARA-R6 module is both an approved module and a certified device. I have reached out to AT&T as well a couple device vendors I used to work with, but AT&T's developer program has shifted to data only sims.

I got my kit on Friday last and will be assembling it over this week.

Cheers
Anjin
joelsef

Post by joelsef »

When I get my phone assembled I'm excited to try it on Mint Mobile, VZ, and AT&T. I assume VZ and ATT won't work, but I thought I saw a chance that Mint might. I can't wait. :D
justine

Post by justine »

To answer the original question more fully,

The calls I was able to place in the YouTube video was from before this FCC/PTCRB certification issue arose (thank you very much to Anjin for explaining it so I didn't have to).

To answer the implied question, anyone, especially in the US, wanting to use this now as their day to day phone should NOT place an order until all of this has been resolved, and I've expressed this on the website.

~Justine